The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A one minute silence has been held at the Queen's Garden Party in memory of the 22 people killed and 59 injured in the Manchester attack.
Mancunians have come together in defiance after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a concert.
Extra armed police will be deployed to Wembley and Twickenham this weekend, police have confirmed.