The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Argentina's president has announced plans to disband the country's intelligence services following the death of a state prosecutor.
A new EastEnders trailer has been released previewing the show's anniversary special where Lucy Beale's murderer will finally be revealed.
A gang of kidnappers who cut off a man's finger and left it for his family to find have been jailed.