The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
The Foreign Secretary said "good connections" were important, and suggested the Channel Tunnel might simply be "a first step."
When Arunachalam Muruganatham discovered his wife collecting filthy rags and newspapers to use during her period he felt compelled to act.
A plane which skidded off a runway and down a steep embankment in Turkey has been recovered as investigations get underway.