The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Tonight it'll become quite clear with a patchy frost in places. The breeze will keep much of the fog at bay.
He suggested people who are not concerned about the new notes donate their bodies for 'decorative use in future five pound notes'.
Tens of thousands of people lined the streets of Chapecó for a memorial ceremony honouring footballers killed in a plane crash.