The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A large shipment of cocaine has been seized from a boat intercepted at sea by the Royal Navy and Coastguard.
World Superbike champion and TV presenter joined thousands of other bikers at an event to raise money for the Midlands Air Ambulance.
Spring takes a hike - for the time being