The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A fine start to Sunday but rain moves in from the southwest later on.
A second police officer has died after he and a colleague were shot as they scuffled with a suspect in Florida.
Thousands of demonstrators have marched through Boston in opposition to a right-wing rally in the city which was eventually cut short.