The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Kids Company founder Camila Batmanghelidjh to leave the children's charity, blaming politicians 'ugly games' and austerity for her decision.
A prison officer - who was allegedly assaulted by a prisoner at a crown court - has died.
The body of the girl, who is thought to be about four, was found washed up in a bag in Boston.