The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A new treatment for arthritis sufferers has been hailed as "magic" by a woman who had a pioneering electronic implant fitted.
Local councils are to get an almost £6 billion fund to fight potholes over the next six years.
The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition praised the courage of Britain's armed forces in a Christmas message to troops.