The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A 14-year-old boy has said he has been added to a police database after sending a naked image of himself to a female classmate by Snapchat.
Britons are using social media to spread their message that those fleeing persecution are welcome in the UK.
Mel Gibson will not face any police action over an alleged scuffle with a Sydney photographer, the actor’s representative says.