The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
The was no stick in sight as an Elephant used its trunk to take amazing selfie that a snapper dubbed an 'elphie'.
A package that caused a panic at the West Yorkshire offices of recently-deposed MP George Galloway has been declared safe by police.
Ed Balls has opened up about losing his seat and addressed the Strictly Come Dancing rumours - but stopped short of criticising Ed Miliband.