The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Shira Banki, 16, died on Sunday of stab wounds sustained when an ultra-Orthodox Jew attacked a Gay Pride parade in Jerusalem.
HSBC has reported a 10% rise in profits for the first half of the year - boosted by bumper profits in Hong Kong.
Barnado's has received £3 million to tackle child sex abuse in Rotherham, nearly a year after the Jay Report was released.