The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Brexit, crime and web addiction all make the front pages on Saturday.
Trains on the route will be brought back under public control from Sunday, with the London North Eastern Railway brand being resurrected.
Drones and fireworks ensured the spectacle got off to a memorable start in front of 20,000 people.