The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Jamie Harron was arrested in July over an incident in which he said he put his hand on a man's hip to avoid spilling a drink in a bar.
Merrill Lynch has been fined £34.5 million for failing to report 68.5 million transactions, the Financial Conduct Authority has said.
Most people back a change in the law to ban unpaid internships that last for more than four weeks, a new poll suggests.