The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Police are investigating the death of a teenager who died shortly after an amateur boxing match held last night.
Labour leader says the UK "should not be afraid of debt or borrowing" as he urges the government to "stop dithering" and start investing.
A fundraising page for a Westminster terror attack victim has been taken over by JustGiving amid fears it was set up by a fraudster.