The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
This is the sight that greeted one environmental conservationist - a deer with its head stuck in a light globe.
A serial killer dubbed the "Grim Sleeper" could face the death penalty after being convicted of murdering nine women and a teenage girl.
Britons must have e-passports to visit America or risk being turned away, travellers have been warned.