The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Low pressure will keep the weather cloudy and wet for many areas overnight.
The Treasury have confirmed the 1% cap on annual rises will stay despite earlier suggestions the policy could be scrapped.
An officer who was stabbed in the eye as tried to stop the London Bridge attackers with his baton has spoken publicly for the first time.