The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A video of a white police officer shooting dead a black teenager has been released by authorities in Chicago.
Cold in the wind
The working poor and elderly fear they will be clobbered when the Chancellor announces his Autumn Statement tomorrow, Penny Marshall writes.