The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
After Roy Hodgson's resignation following England's humiliating exit from Euro 2016, who are the leading contenders to replace him?
The beleaguered Labour Party leader is clinging onto power in the face of as many as 150 MPs voting to remove him from the top job today.
Mr Osborne said he is "not the person to provide the unity my party needs".