The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
Murray's hopes of a first Australian Open title blew up in smoke as the world number one tumbled out in the fourth round to Mischa Zverev
The Pope has warned against a rise in populism and the danger of 'seeking a saviour in times of crisis'.
Gulf War veteran Paul Briggs' widow, Lindsey, 40, launched legal action to have his life support withdrawn so he could "die with dignity".