The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
A man is risking his life to bring joy to children in Syria by smuggling toys into the war-torn country.
A dead whale - believed to be a minke whale - has washed up on a Devon beach between Dawlish and Dawlish Warren.
The trade secretary has said the UK "has a golden opportunity to forge a new role for ourselves in world" outside of the EU.