The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker invited the former London mayor to Brussels to get a more 'accurate view of the EU'.
Heard cited irreconcilable differences as reasons for the divorce, court records show.
National Audit Office figures show 2.7 million 'hospital bed days' are lost each year due to delayed transfers of care.