The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
The High Court will hear a legal challenge to Labour's decision to guarantee Jeremy Corbyn a place on the party's leadership ballot.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov brushed aside accusations that Moscow was behind the hacking of internal Democratic Party memos.
The First Lady gave an enthusiastic backing for the Democratic presidential frontrunner in a speech at the Democratic National Convention.