The most common form of anomalies in newborn babies in 2011 were congenital heart defects.
Here are the numbers of babies estimated to have been born with various anomalies in 2011:
- Congenital heart defect - 4,461 (28% of all babies born with a defect)
- Defects of the nervous system - 1,739 (10.1%)
- Problems with the digestive system - 1,223 (7.7%)
- Cleft lip or palate alone or alongside other defects - 1,143 (7.2%)
- Down's syndrome - 1,973 (12.4%)
More top news
It takes more than economic meltdown, the threat of roaring inflation and years of recession to knock Vladimir Putin off his stride.
According to state media, the villagers are now undergoing an education programme to stop discrimination against those infected with HIV.
The P&O Ferries chef suffered a heart attack during a "kinky sex game" in which he was wrapped head to toe in clingfilm and PVC sheeting.