- Hepatitis C is a virus which can lead to inflammation of the liver and cause liver disease, and can even lead to cancer of the liver if left untreated
- Most people are oblivious to the fact they are infected because the liver can still operate when damaged and the virus does not produce any obvious symptoms
- Only once the liver becomes seriously damaged and symptoms occur do people visit their GP where it is diagnosed
- The virus is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact, and very rarely through sexual intercourse
- Infection is not passed on through social contact, kissing or sharing food or drink
More top news
Dozens of plots have been thwarted since July 7, 2005, but are we any less vulnerable to terror attacks?
A teenager from Bradford who was indoctrinated with 'chilling' extremist views has been jailed for plotting to go to Syria to fight for IS.
Georgina Ferguson was on a carriage behind the one that was bombed. This is her very personal story of 7/7.