- Hepatitis C is a virus which can lead to inflammation of the liver and cause liver disease, and can even lead to cancer of the liver if left untreated
- Most people are oblivious to the fact they are infected because the liver can still operate when damaged and the virus does not produce any obvious symptoms
- Only once the liver becomes seriously damaged and symptoms occur do people visit their GP where it is diagnosed
- The virus is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact, and very rarely through sexual intercourse
- Infection is not passed on through social contact, kissing or sharing food or drink
More top news
An elephant calf had to be rescued in Sri Lanka after becoming trapped in a drain.
According to local reports, the repairman had failed to disconnect the power to the escalator before getting to work.
Millwall fans who caused problems at the match against Barnsley could face lifetime bans, the club said.