- Hepatitis C is a virus which can lead to inflammation of the liver and cause liver disease, and can even lead to cancer of the liver if left untreated
- Most people are oblivious to the fact they are infected because the liver can still operate when damaged and the virus does not produce any obvious symptoms
- Only once the liver becomes seriously damaged and symptoms occur do people visit their GP where it is diagnosed
- The virus is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact, and very rarely through sexual intercourse
- Infection is not passed on through social contact, kissing or sharing food or drink
More top news
Ashley Yates, 45, used a spy pen hidden inside school bathrooms to film pupils at a primary school.
Joshua Clements stabbed two 19-year-olds while 4,000 people were gathered at the royal park.
The vessel was spotted off the Kent coast at around 5.40am on Thursday.