Kensington Palace said in a statement:
His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge is to leave operational service in the Armed Forces.
He completes his Tour with the Royal Air Force Search and Rescue Force at RAF Valley, Anglesey, after more than seven-and-a-half years of full-time military service.
He will continue to support the work of the Queen and the Royal Family through a programme of official engagements, both at home and overseas, with The Duchess of Cambridge.
The Duke will work closely over the next 12 months with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
He will expand his work in the field of conservation, particularly in respect of endangered species.
The Duke will continue to work with his charities on issues relating to children and young people, veterans and serving members of the Armed Forces.
The Duke is currently considering a number of options for public service, a further announcement on which will follow in due course.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George are expected to move into their official residence at Kensington Palace within the next few weeks.
More top news
Amanda Holden has told ITV News of the "horrendous" moment she feared her sister had been caught up in a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest.
Kim Kardashian has said she is "really happy" her step-father Bruce Jenner has found "inner peace" as he transitions to become a woman.
Bournemouth will effectively win promotion from the Championship to the Premier League if they beat Bolton at home on Monday.