The coalition is urging schools to avoid using single suppliers and branded uniforms, as parents are thought to be spending up to two fifths of their August income on back-to-school costs.
Under the new guidelines, the government has proposed:
- Exclusive single supplier contracts should not be used, unless regular tendering processes are run to ensure firms provide value for money.
- They should also not enter into 'cashback' agreements with shops.
- Compulsory items of uniform should be available relatively cheaply.
- Branding should be kept "to a minimum".
- Schools are urged to avoid changing specifications frequently.
More top news
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is seen as the force behind the king’s decision to change the rules.
Rose Leslie and Kit Harington have married in Aberdeenshire.
Game of Thrones stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie have tied the knot.