The Fire Brigades Union says thousands of firefighters could face the sack without access to a proper pension simply because they are getting older:
- The Government has made what it called a "generous" offer to release full pensions to firefighters when they reach the age of 60.
- However, a recent review found that more than half of firefighters over 50 are not able to meet fire and rescue service fitness standards.
- The Government previously claimed older firefighters could be moved to less physically demanding roles.
- The FBU says there will be very few "redeployment" opportunities, making mass sackings inevitable.
- The union says many staff could lose about 50 percent of their pension as a result.
- Firefighters already pay some of the highest pension contributions in the UK, with the majority paying almost 13% of their salary.