Peer Steinbruck, the main challenger to Angela Merkel's position in Germany's federal elections is the leader of the centre-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD).
The SPD candidate says it is time for Germany to show solidarity and help its EU partners, adding that Ms Merkel "lacked passion" for Europe.
Here are some facts about the candidate:
- 1947: Born in Hamburg
- 1974: Graduates with economics degree from University of Kiel
- 1980s: Chief of staff for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 1998: Economic minister for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2002 - 2005: Minister president or Governor of North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2005 - 2009: Served as Germany's finance minister under coalition with Angela Merkel's party
More top news
Viewers have complained that the act between French ventriloquist Marc Metral and his dog, Miss Wendy, is cruel.
Mother of Bobbi and Christi Shepherd accuses former Thomas Cook CEO Harriet Green of trying to use their memory to gain public sympathy
Cast and crew from Coronation Street along with members of the public will attend the event at Manchester Cathedral to remember the actress.