Peer Steinbruck, the main challenger to Angela Merkel's position in Germany's federal elections is the leader of the centre-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD).
The SPD candidate says it is time for Germany to show solidarity and help its EU partners, adding that Ms Merkel "lacked passion" for Europe.
Here are some facts about the candidate:
- 1947: Born in Hamburg
- 1974: Graduates with economics degree from University of Kiel
- 1980s: Chief of staff for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 1998: Economic minister for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2002 - 2005: Minister president or Governor of North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2005 - 2009: Served as Germany's finance minister under coalition with Angela Merkel's party
More top news
The Tunisia attack coroner has denied neglect by TUI and the hotel owners played a role in the deaths, so why are some relatives suing?
The 87-year-old, who broke the four-minute mile, has described the problem of doping in sport as a source of "extreme sadness" for him.
Survey finds many are unaware that penalties will double from tomorrow - but most don't think it will stop dangerous driving.