Peer Steinbruck, the main challenger to Angela Merkel's position in Germany's federal elections is the leader of the centre-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD).
The SPD candidate says it is time for Germany to show solidarity and help its EU partners, adding that Ms Merkel "lacked passion" for Europe.
Here are some facts about the candidate:
- 1947: Born in Hamburg
- 1974: Graduates with economics degree from University of Kiel
- 1980s: Chief of staff for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 1998: Economic minister for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2002 - 2005: Minister president or Governor of North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2005 - 2009: Served as Germany's finance minister under coalition with Angela Merkel's party
More top news
Workers tackling Ebola in Sierra Leone are concentrating on changing burial traditions in an attempt to stem the spread of the disease.
There is a weather warning in place in anticipation of heavy rain and gusts of up to 70mph tomorrow.
Dozens of people took to social media to warn others about the character who stands wearing a mask and a suit while holding a balloon.