Peer Steinbruck, the main challenger to Angela Merkel's position in Germany's federal elections is the leader of the centre-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD).
The SPD candidate says it is time for Germany to show solidarity and help its EU partners, adding that Ms Merkel "lacked passion" for Europe.
Here are some facts about the candidate:
- 1947: Born in Hamburg
- 1974: Graduates with economics degree from University of Kiel
- 1980s: Chief of staff for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 1998: Economic minister for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2002 - 2005: Minister president or Governor of North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2005 - 2009: Served as Germany's finance minister under coalition with Angela Merkel's party
More top news
Here is the letter sent by the broadcasters to Prime Minister David Cameron's office in relation to the planned TV leaders debates.
Machete-wielding armed robbers tied up staff and customers of a north Manchester pub during a terrifying raid.
The South African Salvation Army has used a picture of a dress that sent the web into meltdown to raise awareness about domestic violence.