Peer Steinbruck, the main challenger to Angela Merkel's position in Germany's federal elections is the leader of the centre-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD).
The SPD candidate says it is time for Germany to show solidarity and help its EU partners, adding that Ms Merkel "lacked passion" for Europe.
Here are some facts about the candidate:
- 1947: Born in Hamburg
- 1974: Graduates with economics degree from University of Kiel
- 1980s: Chief of staff for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 1998: Economic minister for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2002 - 2005: Minister president or Governor of North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2005 - 2009: Served as Germany's finance minister under coalition with Angela Merkel's party
More top news
A daughter kissed her "dead" mother goodbye - only to find out that the hospital had made a mistake and her mother was still alive.
A nurse trying to identify a badly wounded hit-and-run victim suffered heartbreak when she discovered it was her own brother.
So-called Islamic State has blown up yet another monument in the ancient city of Palmyra, activists say.