Peer Steinbruck, the main challenger to Angela Merkel's position in Germany's federal elections is the leader of the centre-left Socialist Democratic Party (SPD).
The SPD candidate says it is time for Germany to show solidarity and help its EU partners, adding that Ms Merkel "lacked passion" for Europe.
Here are some facts about the candidate:
- 1947: Born in Hamburg
- 1974: Graduates with economics degree from University of Kiel
- 1980s: Chief of staff for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 1998: Economic minister for the North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2002 - 2005: Minister president or Governor of North Rhein-Westphalia
- 2005 - 2009: Served as Germany's finance minister under coalition with Angela Merkel's party
More top news
Conspiracy theorists claim this picture shows a "human-like being" fixing Nasa's Curiosity Rover on the surface of Mars.
The Brit actor has already won a Golden Globe and now a Screen Actor Guilds Award - which is widely known for predicting Oscar success.
A man standing trial accused of murdering two pensioners has been found hanging in his prison cell, police say.