A so-called shutdown of the US government would have an impact on the lives of millions of Americans.
- Some 800,000 government workers could be told to stay home and go without pay
- Many national parks, monuments and zoos would close
- Visa and passport services could be affected (but not overseas services)
- Government-backed insurance for home loans would not move forward
- Vital services like air traffic control, the military, prisons, border security, postal services and medical care will not be affected
Source: CBC News
The US shutdown is but a precursor to a much bigger problem - in a couple of weeks the government, shutdown or not, will run out of cash.
Landmarks across the US have closed as the Congress failed to reach a deal over the budget.