As details emerge of an incident in Washington here is a look back at what is known so far:
- A female driver is reported to have attempted to ram the security gates at the White House
- The car was then pursued by police and security officers to Capitol Hill
- A police car which attempted to block the path of the car was hit and an officer was injured
- Shots were fired, however it is unknown at this time who opened fire
- Police say a child was inside the car, they are believed to be uninjured but has been taken to hospital as a precaution
- Police have a suspect in custody, however their condition is unknown and it is not clear if the suspect is the female driver
- There have been multiple US media reports the female driver has died, however this has not been independently verified by ITV News
More top news
Here's everything you need to know about the Libyan crisis and the announcement of a new national unity government.
Russia will pay the price for launching air strikes to prop up the Assad regime, the US defence secretary has warned.
'Vote Leave' - a cross-party campaign calling for Britain to leave the European Union in the forthcoming referendum - has been launched.