ActionAid has said that the victims of the Rana Plaza building collapse have been left with debilitating physical and psychological injuries, preventing nearly all of them from returning to work.
The charity surveyed almost 2,300 people - around two thirds of all the survivors and families affected - and found that of those surveyed:
- 94% have not received any legal benefits from their employers, including sick pay or compensation
- More than half have mounting debts and less than 10% had savings
- 92% of survivors have not gone back to work
- Of these, 63% said that physical injuries have prevented them from returning to work
- 92% of survivors reported being traumatised, with around half experiencing insomnia and trembling from loud sounds