The government's Transport Research Laboratory has suggested a new system for learner drivers, the proposals include:
- A 12-month 'learner stage' starting at age 17, during which drivers must drive under supervision for 100 hours in daytime and 20 hours at night
- Upon completion of the learner stage, drivers will need to pass the current theory and practical driving tests
- Drivers will then move onto a probationary licence for at least 12 months from the age of 18
- During probation drivers will be on a driving curfew between 10 pm and 5am, unless accompanied by a passenger aged over 30
- Drivers on probation are also banned from using mobile phones, even if hands-free.
- During the probationay period, drivers under 30 are not allowed to carry passengers aged under 30