The government's Transport Research Laboratory has suggested a new system for learner drivers, the proposals include:
- A 12-month 'learner stage' starting at age 17, during which drivers must drive under supervision for 100 hours in daytime and 20 hours at night
- Upon completion of the learner stage, drivers will need to pass the current theory and practical driving tests
- Drivers will then move onto a probationary licence for at least 12 months from the age of 18
- During probation drivers will be on a driving curfew between 10 pm and 5am, unless accompanied by a passenger aged over 30
- Drivers on probation are also banned from using mobile phones, even if hands-free.
- During the probationay period, drivers under 30 are not allowed to carry passengers aged under 30
More top news
Rain will clear eastwards through Sunday but it will remain blustery.
Donald Trump has indicated he does not intend to block the release of thousands of secret files about the assassination of John F Kennedy.
Storm Brian will track off into the north sea later tonight. Blustery tomorrow.