Labour is "not in the business of taking free schools down, the newly appointed shadow education secretary has said today, after he signalled that the party would drop its opposition to the Conservatives' flagship free schools.
Tristam Hunt told the Mail on Sunday:
We are not going to go back to the old days of the local authority running all the schools - they will not be in charge.
We will keep those free schools going. We aren't in the business of taking them down. We have to clear up this question which has dogged Labour education policy since we entered opposition and since Michael Gove began his reforms, as to what we'd do. We just want to say, 'You are setting up these schools, we are behind you'.
More top news
Strong winds, heavy rain and snow forecast across the UK
Police are hunting a man suspected of trying to set Finsbury Park Mosque on fire earlier this morning
A company which specialises in electronic toys and educational material for children has revealed it has been the victim of a cyber attack.