A comprehensive guide to local conditions in and around Cyclone Phailin's path, including information on electric and transportation outages has been compiled by Indian news agency NDTV.
Here is a round-up of the incident:
- A massive relief operation has been mounted by multiple state and central agencies. Phailin is expected to affect around 1.2 crore (12 million) people in India.
- The storm made landfall near Gopalpur and has caused very heavy rain along the coast and in most parts of Odisha.
- The Cyclone hit land with wind speed of around 200 kilometres per hour, marginally less than expected. Tidal waves rose to 3.5 metres.
- Power supply has been cut from Ichchapuram to Palasa in Andhra Prdaesh and in seven coastal districts in Odisha.
- At least five deaths have been reported across the state due to incidents of wall collapse, all before the cyclone made landfall.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has directed that all possible assistance be extended to the states which are on alert for the cyclone.
More top news
Edward Majerczyk accessed private information including nude photos from 30 celebrity accounts.
The President of the United States is set to restrict immigrants from Syria and six other Middle Eastern or African countries, aides say.
MPs say there is a "severe conflict of interest" in F1's sale to Liberty Media after it emerged the governing body benefited from the deal.