A comprehensive guide to local conditions in and around Cyclone Phailin's path, including information on electric and transportation outages has been compiled by Indian news agency NDTV.
Here is a round-up of the incident:
- A massive relief operation has been mounted by multiple state and central agencies. Phailin is expected to affect around 1.2 crore (12 million) people in India.
- The storm made landfall near Gopalpur and has caused very heavy rain along the coast and in most parts of Odisha.
- The Cyclone hit land with wind speed of around 200 kilometres per hour, marginally less than expected. Tidal waves rose to 3.5 metres.
- Power supply has been cut from Ichchapuram to Palasa in Andhra Prdaesh and in seven coastal districts in Odisha.
- At least five deaths have been reported across the state due to incidents of wall collapse, all before the cyclone made landfall.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has directed that all possible assistance be extended to the states which are on alert for the cyclone.
More top news
Although there are bright skies for many as we start the bank holiday, more central, eastern and south eastern regions will be cloudy.
Fans around the globe have been celebrating Pac-Man's 35th anniversary by paying homage to the smiley faced character.
Sir Ian McKellen has revealed he was in "two minds" about accepting his knighthood as he thinks the honour system is unfair.