An immense, powerful cyclone packing destructive winds has hammered eastern India, forcing more than 500,000 people to evacuate and sending seawater surging inland.
Here are the latest developments:
- The confirmed casualties are now seven although there are few more
- The number is significantly lower than what it could have been because many have been shifted to cyclone relief shelters
- Severe damage reported in south Odisha, especially Ganjam and Puri
- Lot of the roads that have been blocked bring cleared by relief workers
- Doctors, medicines and food have been arranged in vulnerable districts
- The casualty figure will change as few places are still cut-off
- Power is down even in parts which were not at the centre of the storm
- In Gopalpur, where the cyclone made landfall, almost 90-95% people have been evacuated
More top news
Acclaimed author Michael Morpurgo has written this piece of prose exclusively for ITV News to mark 100 years since the Battle of the Somme.
The War Horse and Private Peaceful author joined ITV News in Northern France to reflect on the sacrifices made at the Battle of the Somme.
Detectives investigating an arson attack have released CCTV of a man igniting two petrol bombs moments before hurling them at the shop.