An Ofsted report said inspectors found that a persistent absence of stable leadership was a feature of most ‘inadequate’ local authorities. It said that in the weakest places:
- The most basic acceptable practice was not in place
- Supervision, management oversight, purposeful work with families and decisive action where children were at risk from harm were ineffective
- The views of children and families were rarely considered
- Support from key statutory partners – health, police, schools – was weak and poorly co-ordinated
- Managers did not appear to have a firm understanding of what constituted good practice
More top news
White House budget officials outlined the information during a telephone call with reporters given on condition of anonymity.
A prison officer is to be charged with gross negligence manslaughter and misconduct in public office in relation to the death of an inmate.
The 2017 Oscars will be remembered as the year the wrong film got the best picture award, but it wasn't the first memorable mix-up.