An Ofsted report said inspectors found that a persistent absence of stable leadership was a feature of most ‘inadequate’ local authorities. It said that in the weakest places:
- The most basic acceptable practice was not in place
- Supervision, management oversight, purposeful work with families and decisive action where children were at risk from harm were ineffective
- The views of children and families were rarely considered
- Support from key statutory partners – health, police, schools – was weak and poorly co-ordinated
- Managers did not appear to have a firm understanding of what constituted good practice
More top news
Clear spells in the north overnight where it's actually cold enough in the north for a touch of ground frost. Further south cloudier.
Grange Hill actor Terry Sue-Patt, who played Benny Green in the long-running school-based drama, has been found dead at his home in London.
EastEnders fans have finally been introduced to the character Fat Elvis, years after he was first mentioned.