An Ofsted report said inspectors found that a persistent absence of stable leadership was a feature of most ‘inadequate’ local authorities. It said that in the weakest places:
- The most basic acceptable practice was not in place
- Supervision, management oversight, purposeful work with families and decisive action where children were at risk from harm were ineffective
- The views of children and families were rarely considered
- Support from key statutory partners – health, police, schools – was weak and poorly co-ordinated
- Managers did not appear to have a firm understanding of what constituted good practice
More top news
Cheap commercial spaceflight took one giant leap closer to reality after Blue Origin successfully landed a rocket - upright - in Texas.
Back-up turkey Honest will also spend the rest of his life living comfortably in a barn called the White House on Turkey Hill.
HMP Holloway - Europe's largest women's jail is to be shut down. ITV News looks back at its history and some of its infamous inmates.