An Ofsted report said inspectors found that a persistent absence of stable leadership was a feature of most ‘inadequate’ local authorities. It said that in the weakest places:
- The most basic acceptable practice was not in place
- Supervision, management oversight, purposeful work with families and decisive action where children were at risk from harm were ineffective
- The views of children and families were rarely considered
- Support from key statutory partners – health, police, schools – was weak and poorly co-ordinated
- Managers did not appear to have a firm understanding of what constituted good practice
More top news
ITV Border Political Editor Peter MacMahon says it's far too early to call this referendum.
A World War Two veteran has told ITV News he has fulfilled a boyhood dream by voting for an independent Scotland.
Speaking as a Scot - not the ITV News Scotland Correspondent - I am feeling a great anxiety about what lies ahead.