Cyber crime officers have said that the malicious emails often appear to be genuine communications from a bank.
They come with attachments that appear to be files such as a voicemail, fax, an invoice or details of a suspicious transaction.
If you receive such an email:
- Do not to click on any attachments
- Update your antivirus software and operating systems
- Back up important files
If your computer is infected with malicious software:
- Disconnect it from the network
- Call a professional to clear the machine
- Report it to www.actionfraud.police.uk
More top news
ITV News Political Editor Robert Peston has travelled to Yorkshire to find out the views of voters in an area which voted to leave the EU.
Heavy rain - mostly across Wales - will clear eastwards throughout the day tomorrow
A former coach and kit man at Scottish football clubs has been charged with sexual activity with a child.