Cyber crime officers have said that the malicious emails often appear to be genuine communications from a bank.
They come with attachments that appear to be files such as a voicemail, fax, an invoice or details of a suspicious transaction.
If you receive such an email:
- Do not to click on any attachments
- Update your antivirus software and operating systems
- Back up important files
If your computer is infected with malicious software:
- Disconnect it from the network
- Call a professional to clear the machine
- Report it to www.actionfraud.police.uk
More top news
The Cosby Show star, 80, was found guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault.
The Government's stance risks a negotiating car crash with the EU, as it refuses to acknowledge risks over the Irish border.
Sunshine and a soaking