Cyber crime officers have said that the malicious emails often appear to be genuine communications from a bank.
They come with attachments that appear to be files such as a voicemail, fax, an invoice or details of a suspicious transaction.
If you receive such an email:
- Do not to click on any attachments
- Update your antivirus software and operating systems
- Back up important files
If your computer is infected with malicious software:
- Disconnect it from the network
- Call a professional to clear the machine
- Report it to www.actionfraud.police.uk
More top news
Boris Johnson's failed coup achieves what the Prime Minister could not do her for herself - he has strengthened her position.
Wet and windy weather spreading across northern and some western parts, with some heavy rain likely across Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Online video giant YouTube has been condemned for failing to take down extremist content including films praising Hitler and the Taliban.