Under a new agreement between the Government and GPs, the following changes in elderly care will be introduced from next year:
- Over-75s will be assigned a GP in a bid to ensure their care is coordinated.
- Patients will then be told the name of their accountable GP.
- Newly registered patients will need to be notified of the name of the GP within 21 days of registration. Existing patients will be notified by 30 June 2014
- GPs will take the lead responsibility for ensuring that all appropriate services required under the contract are delivered to each of their patients.
- Where required (based on their clinical judgement), the named GP will need to work with relevant health and social care professionals to deliver a care package that meets the needs of the patient.