Campaign launched after rare tampon infection death

The family of a 14-year-old teenager who died on Valentine's Day have launched a campaign to raise awareness of toxic shock syndrome, which they say caused the girl's death after she used a tampon for the first time.

Natasha Scott-Falber, 14, died on Valtentine's Day only five days after falling ill. Credit: Facebook/In Loving Memory of Natasha Harriete Scott-Falber

Natasha Scott-Falber, who loved music and dreamed of starring in the West End, died only a few days after falling ill.

The teenager's family said she was mistakenly diagnosed with the Norovirus, but believe toxic shock syndrome was the true cause of her death. The syndrome affects about 40 people each year in the UK.

"She followed all of the instructions and used the tampon correctly, it was simply the introduction of the tampon into her body which caused Toxic Shock Syndrome to take effect," said the family.

The infection is caused when usually harmless bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus bacteri, which live on the skin, invade the bloodstream and produce dangerous toxins.

"Tash became ill five days before she died but remained in good spirits," added the family. "She died peacefully at approximately 6.45am on Valentine’s Day after falling asleep watching one of her favourite TV programs."

"We cannot express how much we miss our beautiful, gifted, kind and funny Natasha."