Five hundred UK business leaders were questioned for the YouGov poll, conducted as part of an experts' meeting on ageing at London's Royal Institution.
- 40% said people aged over 50 accounted for a quarter of their workforce
- Two-thirds maintained that over-50s made an important contribution to their business
- Up to 81% were concerned that skills would be lost when older workers retire
- 19% of employers saw maintaining an older workforce as a business priority
- 12% invested in any sort of targeted training for older staff
- 4% had designed workplaces to make them more suitable for older workers
More top news
A woman and man have been charged with murder after a baby was found unresponsive on a bus.
A "very dangerous" tattooed attacker who kidnapped a man before subjecting him to numerous assaults has been jailed for life.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went salmon fishing in Canadian waters on the latest leg of their royal visit to the country.