Five hundred UK business leaders were questioned for the YouGov poll, conducted as part of an experts' meeting on ageing at London's Royal Institution.
- 40% said people aged over 50 accounted for a quarter of their workforce
- Two-thirds maintained that over-50s made an important contribution to their business
- Up to 81% were concerned that skills would be lost when older workers retire
- 19% of employers saw maintaining an older workforce as a business priority
- 12% invested in any sort of targeted training for older staff
- 4% had designed workplaces to make them more suitable for older workers
More top news
A war veteran who was burgled said he is overwhelmed after thousands of pounds were raised for him by people he had never met.
A three-year-old who used to have up to 250 seizures a day and was never expected to walk has just taken her first steps - see them here!
It will be a mainly dry but chilly start across the UK with a few showers across northern Scotland and northwest England.