Five hundred UK business leaders were questioned for the YouGov poll, conducted as part of an experts' meeting on ageing at London's Royal Institution.
- 40% said people aged over 50 accounted for a quarter of their workforce
- Two-thirds maintained that over-50s made an important contribution to their business
- Up to 81% were concerned that skills would be lost when older workers retire
- 19% of employers saw maintaining an older workforce as a business priority
- 12% invested in any sort of targeted training for older staff
- 4% had designed workplaces to make them more suitable for older workers
More top news
Sinkhole causes two lanes to collapse but luckily no injuries have been reported.
A freezer full of crocodile heads was found rotting and half-thawed in Australia's Northern Territory, police have said.
Typhoon Soudelor is expected to make land fall on Friday, hitting Taiwan and then eastern China.