Five hundred UK business leaders were questioned for the YouGov poll, conducted as part of an experts' meeting on ageing at London's Royal Institution.
- 40% said people aged over 50 accounted for a quarter of their workforce
- Two-thirds maintained that over-50s made an important contribution to their business
- Up to 81% were concerned that skills would be lost when older workers retire
- 19% of employers saw maintaining an older workforce as a business priority
- 12% invested in any sort of targeted training for older staff
- 4% had designed workplaces to make them more suitable for older workers
More top news
Temperatures set to slide
The announcement was hailed as a "momentous step" that will help families facing financial stress as they come to terms with their loss.
Pop Idol's Michelle McManus has joined 10 choirs to record a charity single that they hope will make Christmas Number One.