Five hundred UK business leaders were questioned for the YouGov poll, conducted as part of an experts' meeting on ageing at London's Royal Institution.
- 40% said people aged over 50 accounted for a quarter of their workforce
- Two-thirds maintained that over-50s made an important contribution to their business
- Up to 81% were concerned that skills would be lost when older workers retire
- 19% of employers saw maintaining an older workforce as a business priority
- 12% invested in any sort of targeted training for older staff
- 4% had designed workplaces to make them more suitable for older workers
More top news
A former police officer who lost both legs, fingers and parts of his nose after contracting septicaemia has spoken out about his ordeal.
The first commercial passenger flight between the USA and Cuba in more than 55 years has landed as relations continue to improve.
David Luiz has returned to former club Chelsea from PSG for a fee believed to be £30m