The Department of Health said new safe staffing measures would include the following features:
- All hospitals will publish staffing levels on a ward-by-ward basis together with the percentage of shifts meeting safe staffing guidelines.
- Boards will review the evidence for their staffing numbers in public at least once every six months.
- New NHS guidance will set out how local Trusts can work out the right staffing numbers for safe and effective care on their wards and clinical services.
- Safety information about every hospital in the country will be published monthly on a publicly accessible website
- Five thousand "patient safety fellows" will be trained by NHS England within five years to be "champions, experts, leaders and motivators in patient safety."