Northern Ireland's Attorney General said that the chances of a conviction so many years after the events in question are now extremely low, and that it is time to "take stock".
John Larkin told the BBC:
More than 15 years have passed since the Belfast Agreement, there have been very few prosecutions, and every competent criminal lawyer will tell you the prospects of conviction diminish, perhaps exponentially, with each passing year, so we are in a position now where I think we have to take stock.
It strikes me that the time has come to think about putting a line, set at Good Friday 1998, with respect to prosecutions, inquests and other inquiries.
More top news
European nations are collectively consuming more fish than its waters can provide, according to a new study.
PM announces funding will be made available for a memorial dedicated to the victims of last week’s terrorist attack in Tunisia
Mother of the gunman in the Tunisia beach terror attack said her son once refused to kill a mouse because he "couldn't kill anything".