- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Anti-discrimination campaigners have offered their support to Mario Balotelli after he received a tide of racist abuse on Twitter
Nasa's Maven spacecraft enters into the orbit of Mars after a 10-month, 442 million-mile journey.
British actress Emma Watson called for more feminists in society and called upon men to promote gender equality in a speech at the weekend.