- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
A consumer report found that a number of once-a-day sunscreens decreased in protection by an average of 74% after six to eight hours.
It will be mainly dry across the UK, but parts of Wales and England may experience thundery showers.
New report from the Public Accounts Committee says courts are beset by 'long-standing poor performance', causing delays for victims.