- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Hotting up for all of us in the next couple of days. As we drift into July and the heat and humidity levels rise.
Talks are ongoing because both sides realise that there is no good outcome to this referendum.
A former Birmingham City football star and his wife have been named as the latest British victims of the Tunisian beach massacre.