- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Here's what we know about the prison riot that has left as many as 50 people dead in north-eastern Mexico.
Ola Jordan broke her leg and Marcus Brigstocke couldn't work for a year after he injured himself - but they'd both go back on the show.
A production firm is to be prosecuted over an incident which left Harrison Ford injured during the filming of the latest Star Wars movie.