- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Civil rights leaders called for a probe into claims a southern school took no action against students over an alleged "racial hate crime".
A teenager dressed as a "killer clown" and brandishing a hammer has been stabbed after attempting to scare a group of young people.
Researchers in the US claim they have discovered the answer to the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle.