- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Tonight will start off clear in many areas, but cloud will increase from the east overnight, bringing some light and patchy rain.
Defending champions Arsenal squeezed into the FA Cup final despite a spirited fightback from Reading, who forced extra-time
A detective who led investigations into the Valley Parade fire tells ITV News there is "unequivocal" evidence the disaster was an accident.