- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
The 250kg cake, which took 700 hours to make, covered in 150kg of icing and 30kg of white chocolate ganache.
Clear and cooler conditions to the south and east with lows into single figures.
Police have arrested three teenagers and a man following the shooting of a three-year-old girl with an air gun.