- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Showers could be heavy for a time but most should still enjoy sunny spells.
The chief executive of EDF has urged the government to go ahead with the new nuclear plant.
An Italian prosecutor investigating the quake aftermath believes cheap renovations may be partly to blame for the high death toll.