- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Imposing age ratings on music videos is a step in the right direction but it's currently impossible to police endless inappropriate content.
A body has been found in Ireland in the search for one of the so-called Disappeared, 23-year-old Brendan Megraw killed in 1978.
The position, posted on the British Monarchy website, pays £16,000 a year for 20 hours a week.