- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Colombian drug lord Daniel Barrera Barrera was fined $10m for manufacturing hundreds of tonnes of cocaine that he trafficked globally.
The 37-year-old Somali immigrant to Canada died after being beaten by several police officers, according to local media reports.
This evening it'll become largely dry across the UK as the showers in the west gradually die down.