- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Georgia Williams could have been saved if police had not missed several chances to catch her killer, a review found.
Jennifer Connell complained the injury made it difficult for her to "hold a plate of hors d'ouerves" at a party recently.
Despite still making music, the music legend considers himself 'retired' from taking to the stage, his agent claims.