- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
The toddler died after suffering eight months of abuse at the hands of her legal guardian Kandyce Downer.
Most of the 150 child refugees in Calais Jungle have given up any hope of getting help from those in power so will PM's climbdown help?
Donald Trump has carved a deep dividing line in the Republican party. But despite his success, the "Never Trump" movement is still alive.