- Personal debt in the UK stands at £1.4 tn with an average household owing £54,000, compared with £29,000 a decade ago
- Unsecured consumer debt has almost tripled since 1993, reaching nearly £160bn
- Poorest 10% of household in the country have average debts more than 4x their annual income
- More than 8 million households now have no savings at all
- 26,000 UK households have been accepted by councils as homeless in the last five years because of rent and mortgage arrears, with 5,036 becoming homeless last year
- Payday lenders have increased business from £900 million in 2008/09 to just over £2 billion in 2011/12.
More top news
Former X Factor finalist Chris Maloney told This Morning he spent £60,000 on cosmetic surgery after online abuse led to a breakdown.
A photograph appearing to show a seagull flying in formation alongside the Red Arrows display team has gone viral.
Bowers pleaded not guilty of assaulting his ex-fiancee Sophia Cahill in Croydon in January.