Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust in Jersey is urging people to stop using palm oil products to help save endangered orangutans.
AlphaBay, where illegal items including drugs were traded, is one of two dark web markets seized after an US and Europe-led operation.
Sir Vince Cable has become the new leader of the Liberal Democrats, after no other nominations were put forward.