Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Close to a frost in places tonight
Mali has been awarded the PDSA's Dickin Medal for his courage under attack, saving the lives of dozens of British soldiers.
The 49-year-old man from Swanage has been released under investigation, as Gaia's family said they were 'holding on to hope'.