Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
It's still pretty wintry out there although the air over the next 12 or so hours will be fractionally less cold than it has been recently.
CCTV shows an acrobatic youth as he caused £5,000 worth of damage when he ran across six cars before attempting a handstand on a seventh.
Detectives have released CCTV footage of the moment a machete wielding thug wearing a mask jumped over the counter at a bookmakers.