Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
The pre-trial hearing for a British banker, accused of murdering two women in Hong Kong last November, was adjourned for five weeks.
Conservationists say one of the UK's most threatened butterflies has recorded its best year for a decade following 2014's warm spring.
The SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon says tonight's TV election debate shows there is a clear demand for a new style of politics across the UK.