Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Rain will spread southeastwards through N. Ireland, Wales and England overnight. Northern parts of Britain will remain mostly dry.
Two members of the public were injured along with two police officers who were in the unmarked vehicle.
One of the attackers who murdered a priest in a French church during morning mass in Normandy has been named by prosecutors.