Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
The French president has delivered posthumous awards in a national ceremony in Paris as the slain officer's partner appealed for peace.
One mother said she had travelled for hours to celebrate her daughter's 16th birthday, only to miss the gig completely.
The family of a former Royal Navy officer who was killed as thieves stole his car pay tribute to the 'wonderful husband, son, and brother'.