Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Another cold night across Britain with temperatures closely dipping below freezing in rural areas in the north.
Investigative journalist Sue Lloyd-Roberts, who worked at both ITN and BBC News, has died after a battle with leukaemia.
A man found his wife of four months dead near her overturned car after he went looking for her when she didn't return home.