Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Pitt was due to attend the premiere of a new documentary he narrated, but instead will focus on his "family situation".
ITV News spoke to six Democrats and Republicans to get their views on the dramatic showdown between the two presidential hopefuls.
Nicolas Sarkozy would give Britain the chance to reverse the Brexit vote if he is elected president of France.