Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
The Spanish football federation has suspended all games past 16 May in a dispute over television rights.
Winds easing tonight with a few showers remaining for Scotland which could linger into tomorrow morning
A woman and her three children held hostage at knifepoint were saved by police after managing to hide a secret SOS message in a pizza order.