Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Emmanuel Macron, the soft left candidate to be president of France, is in London to woo the French citizens who live in the capital.
Downing Street has insisted Theresa May has full confidence in Sajid Javid, as a swathe of Tory MPs waded into a row over business rates.
Heterosexual couple Rebecca Steinfeld and Charles Keidan challenged the law and lost - but the ruling shows the matter is far from resolved.