Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
Auditions for X Factor have been cancelled following the death Simon Cowell's mother.
Andy Murray faces the towering 6ft 10 ins Croat Ivo Karlovic as he looks to book his place in the Wimbledon quarter final.
The National Housing Federation (NHF) has warned that large parts of the countryside in England could become "pensioner pockets".