Abdelhakim Dekhar, 48, remains in custody in Paris hospital after police detained him on Wednesday night.
Here is what we know about him:
- Of Algerian origin
- Enlisted in the Algerian army at the age of 17, Le Figaro reports
- Affiliated with anarchist far-left in the 90s, known as “Toumi’ among his peers
- Sentenced in 1998 for his links to a murder spree in France
- Lived abroad, including in London, after his release in 1999
- Detained on Wednesday, heavily medicated
- Believed to have attempted to take his own life
- Left notes criticising capitalism and the violence in Libya and Syria
More top news
The unexploded bomb was found near the Houses of Parliament and led to disruption in central London overnight.
Southern parts of England and Wales will see sunny skies after a frosty start.
Police said the incident in Melbourne, Australia, was terror related.