The HS2 Hybrid Bill that is to go before Parliament will give details on how the first phase of the high speed rail project should progress.
The High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill will provide government powers to allow the construction and operation of the railway.
It will outline powers to:
- build and maintain the first phase of HS2 and its associated works, including secure planning permission for the works;
- compulsorily acquire interests in the land required;
- affect or change rights of way, including the stopping-up or diversion of highways and waterways (permanently or temporarily);
- modify infrastructure belonging to statutory undertakers (e.g. utility companies);
- carry out protective works to buildings and third-party infrastructure.
More top news
Speaking to ITV News Foreign Office minister Tobias Ellwood said education was the greatest weapon in the fight against extremism.
A review of the law is being considered after a cyclist who crashed into and killed a mother-of-two was convicted using a Victorian law.
Rain affects many western areas overnight with some heavy bursts at times.