The HS2 Hybrid Bill that is to go before Parliament will give details on how the first phase of the high speed rail project should progress.
The High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill will provide government powers to allow the construction and operation of the railway.
It will outline powers to:
- build and maintain the first phase of HS2 and its associated works, including secure planning permission for the works;
- compulsorily acquire interests in the land required;
- affect or change rights of way, including the stopping-up or diversion of highways and waterways (permanently or temporarily);
- modify infrastructure belonging to statutory undertakers (e.g. utility companies);
- carry out protective works to buildings and third-party infrastructure.
More top news
Human rights groups have condemned Pakistan for executing a man who said he was tortured into confessing to murder when he was 14.
The answer is it's not Britain. See where the UK ranks out of the 28 EU member states.
Most disabled people say they are treated differently by strangers and reveal common gaffes for Scope's #EndTheAwkward campaign.