The HS2 Hybrid Bill that is to go before Parliament will give details on how the first phase of the high speed rail project should progress.
The High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill will provide government powers to allow the construction and operation of the railway.
It will outline powers to:
- build and maintain the first phase of HS2 and its associated works, including secure planning permission for the works;
- compulsorily acquire interests in the land required;
- affect or change rights of way, including the stopping-up or diversion of highways and waterways (permanently or temporarily);
- modify infrastructure belonging to statutory undertakers (e.g. utility companies);
- carry out protective works to buildings and third-party infrastructure.
More top news
Cold and sunny for most, increasingly cloudy from the west. Cloud and wind spreading from the west of UK.
A woman, 63, was allegedly grabbed from behind and dragged to the ground in a serious assault near a nature reserve.
A 21-gun salute was first sounded in the capital, Havana, as Castro's ashes were taken to the cemetery in eastern Cuba.