- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Eleven police officers are under criminal investigation over their handling of child sex abuse allegations against Lord Janner.
Elena Veronica Ciochina left her home in Newham on Saturday night and hasn't been seen since.
Sarah Champion quit in June as 172 Labour MPs backed a vote of no confidence in the party leader - but she has now asked for her job back.