- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Manchester City have completed the signing of goalkeeper Claudio Bravo from Barcelona, the Premier League side have confirmed.
Everton manager Ronald Koeman shut down talk of a move for England goalkeeper Joe Hart in three simple words on Thursday.
Cooling down after the hottest day of the year so far.