- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Trains on the route will be brought back under public control from Sunday, with the London North Eastern Railway brand being resurrected.
Drones and fireworks ensured the spectacle got off to a memorable start in front of 20,000 people.
Boris Johnson said the UK would not accept a Brexit which left the country ‘half in and half out’ of the EU.