- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Justin Bieber has posted a video online apologising for his "arrogant" and "conceited" behaviour in the past year.
More than a third of children in England are considered overweight, a new 20-year study suggests.
The Tory party's "anti-immigration rhetoric" could cost MPs key marginal seats in the forthcoming general election, a new report says.