- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
A court official has been jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples in America.
Gareth Bale's late header put Wales on the brink of qualifying for Euro 2016 after a scrappy win against Cyprus.
A 15-year-old school boy has been stabbed 'five or six times' on his first day back at school in north London after the summer holidays.