- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Nicola Sturgeon will hold talks with European Parliament president Martin Schulz in Brussels today.
IKEA is recalling almost 36 million chests and dressers in the US and Canada after the deaths of three children.
Toyota is recalling 1.43 million cars for an airbag inflator defect.