- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Prince Harry is in Toronto, the host city of the Invictus Games, ahead of Saturday night's opening ceremony.
The Prime Minister said she expected an implementation period of "around two years" as she called for a "creative" approach to talks.
The first signs of autumn are appearing as the equinox marks the start of the season.