- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
A high number of people are fed-up with getting cold calls and want the government to do more to stop them.
The number of violent homophobic crimes have increased in the UK this year, according to new figures.
Social workers are struggling to deal with a "significant increase" in online child sex abuse, a new report warns.