- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Figures suggest that more than 11 million homes, or 42%, are in credit to their energy company.
Undivided, which represents more than 4 million young people, has set out its top issues in an open letter to political leaders.
John Wombell, 58, was jailed for eight weeks after admitting making the grossly offensive call to the Broxtowe MP's office last November.