- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
In an embarrassing setback for the president, Republicans failed to reach the number of votes to pass his new healthcare act into law.
It will feel pleasantly warm in the sunshine, with temperatures reaching 12 or 13 Celsius (54 to 55F).
Some of Britain's biggest stars of the stage and screen will be honoured at Buckingham Palace later today.