- Around one fifth (21%) of those the research classed as over-indebted, equating to 1.8 million people across the UK
- A further 11% were not concerned about being in debt
- One in eight (12%) over-indebted people said they were thinking about trying to get help soon
- Three-quarters (75%) of the estimated 8.8 million people with severe debt problems are under 45 years old and nearly two-thirds (64%) are women
- Some 74% of those with severe debt problems said they are unhappy
- Around four million people are thought to have been struggling to pay their bills for more than a year
- Just under half (48%) of those with severe debt had to forego basic necessities
More top news
Kirk Douglas, star of film classic Spartacus and one of Hollywood's last surviving Golden Age actors, has turned 100.
Addressing an audience in America, the former PM said of Europe's single currency that it was not working "as intended".
The countries lawmakers voted to impeach President Park Geun-hye in the wake of mass protests against her.