Energy company npower has confirmed it is planning 1,460 redundancies in the UK as part of restructuring plans.
Under the proposals, the main impacts regionally would be:
- npower's offices in Stoke on Trent would close, affecting 550 employees
- One of three offices in Oldbury would close and around 400 face redundancy
- Around 430 employees face redundancy at Rainton Bridge, Sunderland
- Approximately 80 employees at npower's site in Leeds face redundancy
- npower's site in Thornaby would close, but all roles would be relocated to Rainton
- Although there would be no redundancies at the Peterlee offices, several teams will be moved between the Rainton and Peterlee offices
The firm said around 540 existing staff will be transferred to retail outsourcer Capita "to allow customers to benefit from the expertise of npower's existing employees".
More top news
On Monday afternoon, numerous Facebook posts claimed a silver Mini had been stolen from the town with a girl in it.
Top temperatures 10 Celsius (50F).
Britain and the European Commission reached agreement on a transition deal which will allow talks on the future trade relationship.