Concerns about the possible "risks to mother and child" led a health trust to apply for permission to deliver an unborn child by caesarean section, Essex County Council social services said today.
Lawyers for the health trust obtained a High Court order that allowed the woman to be forcibly sedated and her child to be taken from her womb, according to the Sunday Telegraph.
The county council said the mother was able to see her daughter on the day of birth and the following day. Social services obtained an interim care order from the county court in August 2012 "because the mother was too unwell to care for her child". In a statement, Essex council said:
The long-term safety and wellbeing of children is always Essex County Council's priority.
Adoption is never considered until we have exhausted all other options and is never pursued lightly.
Historically, the mother has two other children which she is unable to care for due to orders made by the Italian authorities.
In accordance with Essex County Council's Social Services practice social workers liaised extensively with the extended family before and after the birth of the baby, to establish if anyone could care for the child.
More top news
The foreign secretary's suggestion last week's bombing of an aid convoy might constitute a war crime prompted an angry response from Moscow.
Goals from Charlie Austin, Dusan Tadic and James Ward-Prowse consigned Slaven Bilic's men to their fourth straight Premier League loss.
Showers will continue in the north and west, heavy in places.