The child protection system is "beyond breaking point" and social workers are facing increasing pressure, according to a report by the British Association of Social Workers.
The report for a group of MPs makes the following recommendations:
- An end to unpaid overtime
- Separation of social worker's electronic records and data collection
- Exploration of improved caseload management strategies
- A restoration of local authority car allowances
- Ending the "hot desking" culture
- Protection of role for social workers
- Exploration of how to record social worker's input and achievements
- Consideration should be given to proper recognition of restrictive working conditions
- Guidance to encourage social work involvement in NHS patient management
- The employer health check should be reviewed and more rigorous
- Government should liaise with the Association of Chief Police Officers on taking action against those behind websites inciting hatred towards social workers
More top news
Acclaimed author Michael Morpurgo has written this piece of prose exclusively for ITV News to mark 100 years since the Battle of the Somme.
The War Horse and Private Peaceful author joined ITV News in Northern France to reflect on the sacrifices made at the Battle of the Somme.
Detectives investigating an arson attack have released CCTV of a man igniting two petrol bombs moments before hurling them at the shop.