The child protection system is "beyond breaking point" and social workers are facing increasing pressure, according to a report by the British Association of Social Workers.
The report for a group of MPs makes the following recommendations:
- An end to unpaid overtime
- Separation of social worker's electronic records and data collection
- Exploration of improved caseload management strategies
- A restoration of local authority car allowances
- Ending the "hot desking" culture
- Protection of role for social workers
- Exploration of how to record social worker's input and achievements
- Consideration should be given to proper recognition of restrictive working conditions
- Guidance to encourage social work involvement in NHS patient management
- The employer health check should be reviewed and more rigorous
- Government should liaise with the Association of Chief Police Officers on taking action against those behind websites inciting hatred towards social workers
More top news
An Ipsos MORI poll, commissioned by the League Against Cruel Sports (LACS), found 84% of the public do not want a return to fox hunting.
As Birmingham bids for the Commonwealth Games, we have been looking at sporting venues in the city which could be involved in the event.
Birmingham is bidding to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games, with those involved calling on the entire region to back it.