Ending apartheid in South Africa was Nelson Mandela's greatest achievement according to a new poll.
A ComRes survey carried out for ITV News found that nearly a third of those questioned believed ending the regime topped his other achievements:
- Ending Apartheid - 31%
- Inspiring ordinary people that they can change the world - 19%
- Unifying South Africa - 15%
- Setting an example for how other world leaders should behave - 14%
- Being a figurehead for Africa across the globe - 8%
- Demonstrating the possibilities of peaceful protest - 6%
- Don’t know - 7%
The ComRes survey for ITV News questioned 2,029 UK adults.
Pictures released today give a unique look inside Air Force One as two former and one current US President flew to Nelson Mandela's memorial
Twenty years ago the soon to be President Mandela pledged to 'wash away the stains of apartheid' - two decades on those stains remain.
Barack Obama has led the tributes to Nelson Mandela saying that South Africa's democracy is his 'cherished legacy.'