Germany is to offer 80% of total EU pledges to resettle Syrian refugees - just, 12,000 of the 2.3 million who have fled the country.
- 10 member states have together offered 12,000 humanitarian places to those affected by the crisis.
- 0.5% will be given places out of the 2.3 million people who have fled Syria.
- Germany has pledged to take 10,000 refugees.
- France has offered 500 places.
- Spain has pledged 30 places.
- The remaining 27 member states have offered to take 2,340 refugees.
More top news
Pope Francis has used his Christmas sermon to condemn the "brutal persecution" of minorities by Islamic State.
We look back at some of the stories, people and events that stood out in 2014.
It will be a frosty Christmas morning across the UK but any chance of snow is limited to the Scottish mountains.