- September 2011 - Discovery New School opens in Crawley, West Sussex becoming one of the first 24 free schools in the country.
- May 2013 - Ofsted inspectors rate school 'inadequate'.
- June 2013 - Placed in special measures.
- October 2013 - Founder and headteacher Lindsay Snowdon suspended. Interim headteacher Penny Crocker appointed.
- November 2013 - Ofsted inspects the school again and reports that little progress had been made.
- December 2013 - Department for Education announces that the school's funding agreement is being terminated on 4th April 2014.
The sudden demise of the Discovery New School is likely to undermine confidence in Education Secretary Michael Gove's flagship programme.
Parents and governors at the Discovery New School in Crawley have expressed their dismay after it became the first free school to be closed.