Here is a summary of the main points from the interim report by the Independent Airports Commission:
- Heathrow is effectively full and Gatwick is operating at more than 85% of capacity
- Aviation demand "likely to increase significantly between now and 2050"
- Demand is likely to be concentrated in the South East, where more people live and wages are higher on average
- There is a need for one additional runway to be in operation in South East by 2030 and likely to be demand for a second one by 2050
- Proposals for additional runways at Heathrow and Gatwick were short-listed. 'Boris Island' proposal in Thames Estuary will be looked at in first half of 2014 and may join short list.