In the second quarter of this year, Citizens Advice Bureau gave advice on:
- 22,412 issues about social housing rent arrears - a 13 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 2,840 issues about possessions claims due to rent arrears in the social housing sector - a 38 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 2,736 issues about threatened homelessness in social housing - a 12 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 3,307 issues about Discretionary Housing Payments - a 110 per cent increase on the same period last year.
Of all the charity's clients advised about debt issues:
- 45 per cent are social tenants
- 31 per cent are private tenants
- 20 per cent are buying their home
- 5 per cent own their home outright.
More top news
Expect a bright day today with plenty of winter sunshine and clear blue skies across the country.
Clear skies allowed a satellite image to be taken, showing snow in the Pennines, north Midlands, Northern Ireland and Scotland yesterday.
Molly Smith, 5, won £500 after her accidental selfie with a snowman caught the attention of competition judges.