In the second quarter of this year, Citizens Advice Bureau gave advice on:
- 22,412 issues about social housing rent arrears - a 13 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 2,840 issues about possessions claims due to rent arrears in the social housing sector - a 38 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 2,736 issues about threatened homelessness in social housing - a 12 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 3,307 issues about Discretionary Housing Payments - a 110 per cent increase on the same period last year.
Of all the charity's clients advised about debt issues:
- 45 per cent are social tenants
- 31 per cent are private tenants
- 20 per cent are buying their home
- 5 per cent own their home outright.
More top news
A young mum wants to find a stranger who left her a handwritten note, describing her as a "credit to her generation" and a five pound note
Conspiracy theorists claim this picture shows a "human-like being" fixing Nasa's Curiosity Rover on the surface of Mars.
The Brit actor has already won a Golden Globe and now a Screen Actor Guilds Award - which is widely known for predicting Oscar success.