In the second quarter of this year, Citizens Advice Bureau gave advice on:
- 22,412 issues about social housing rent arrears - a 13 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 2,840 issues about possessions claims due to rent arrears in the social housing sector - a 38 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 2,736 issues about threatened homelessness in social housing - a 12 per cent increase on the same period last year
- 3,307 issues about Discretionary Housing Payments - a 110 per cent increase on the same period last year.
Of all the charity's clients advised about debt issues:
- 45 per cent are social tenants
- 31 per cent are private tenants
- 20 per cent are buying their home
- 5 per cent own their home outright.
More top news
A weather warning is in place across the south-east with heavy rainfall expected. Elsewhere there will be plenty of sunshine around.
Britain's Lewis Hamilton will join an elite club of double Formula One champions if he can secure a top-two finish in Abu Dhabi today.
A naked man fell through the ceiling of a women's toilet at a US airport before fleeing and "viciously assaulting" an elderly man.