Today's statement from the British, US and Libyan governments follows an interview ITV News did earlier this week with the justice minister from Libya, in which he said he was now willing to cooperate with police in the US and UK.
The Foreign Office has now welcomed that development and said that it looks forward to visiting Libya in the new year and to getting access to information and witnesses to progress their investigation.
Scotland's Lord Advocate has previously said there are still people out there with blood on their hands for this atrocity.
More top news
A 25-year-old man has been arrested for urinating on the Cenotaph in Whitehall and pulling down commemorative wreaths.
A Bank Holiday washout has left many Britons running for cover, with a fortnight's worth of rain expected on Monday.
Gary Barlow has given another bride a wedding day to remember after serenading her on the big day.