Experts predict 250,000 Romanian and Bulgarian migrants will move the UK over the next five years when restrictions on entry to the UK are lifted on January 1.
According to a report by Migration Watch UK:
- A Romanian with two children and a spouse on the average wage in their home country will take home £4,000 after tax
- A Bulgarian in the same circumstance will take home £3,800
- Even if they were still on half the average Romanian or Bulgarian wage, that worker will be six times better off in the UK
- They are three times better off in Spain or Italy
- Germany is the "most attractive destination" as it has a low unemployment rate and large number of vacancies
More top news
So today is Towel Day. It's been trending on Twitter, has its own Facebook page and website, and even Tim Peake has got in on the action.
An Australian man who kidnapped, drugged and raped a German backpacker has been jailed for nine years.
A New York man has been charged with murder after he was allegedly spotted wheeling the body of his dead wife down a street in a trolley.