Experts predict 250,000 Romanian and Bulgarian migrants will move the UK over the next five years when restrictions on entry to the UK are lifted on January 1.
According to a report by Migration Watch UK:
- A Romanian with two children and a spouse on the average wage in their home country will take home £4,000 after tax
- A Bulgarian in the same circumstance will take home £3,800
- Even if they were still on half the average Romanian or Bulgarian wage, that worker will be six times better off in the UK
- They are three times better off in Spain or Italy
- Germany is the "most attractive destination" as it has a low unemployment rate and large number of vacancies
More top news
Urban Outfitters has apologised for a 'red-stained' sweater bearing the logo of a US university where four students were shot dead in 1970.
Edinburgh's poet laureate has offered some words of reconciliation as Scotland prepares to vote on independence in just two days' time.
Temperatures will be on the rise in the next few days, with highs of 25C in the sunshine by Thursday, but do not expect clear blue skies.