Experts predict 250,000 Romanian and Bulgarian migrants will move the UK over the next five years when restrictions on entry to the UK are lifted on January 1.
According to a report by Migration Watch UK:
- A Romanian with two children and a spouse on the average wage in their home country will take home £4,000 after tax
- A Bulgarian in the same circumstance will take home £3,800
- Even if they were still on half the average Romanian or Bulgarian wage, that worker will be six times better off in the UK
- They are three times better off in Spain or Italy
- Germany is the "most attractive destination" as it has a low unemployment rate and large number of vacancies
More top news
A cloudy start in the east with the odd spot of drizzle, but brightening up here through the morning.
Charlie Gard's parents are spending their "last precious moments" with the terminally ill boy after a legal fight over his treatment ended.
Leaseholds on new-build houses could be banned outright under proposals to stamp out abuses of the system.