The Ministry of Defence has rejected the suggestion that UK armed forces "systematically tortured" Iraqi detainees, according to the Independent on Sunday, which reported that a complaint had been filed with the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the allegations.
An MoD spokesman said:
These matters are either under thorough investigation or have been dealt with through various means including through the Iraq Historic Allegations Team, independent public inquiries, the UK and European courts and in Parliament.
As such, further action through the ICC is unnecessary when the issues and allegations are already known to the UK Government, action is in hand and the UK courts have already issued judgments.
We reject the suggestion the UK's Armed Forces – who operate in line with domestic and international law – have systematically tortured detainees.
More top news
Mixed fortunes across the UK tomorrow. Still breezy across the north.
The Labour leader said socialist politics would not be put "back in a box" as he appeared on stage at the festival.
MPs and Lords have been left unable to access their emails remotely as a result of the attack.