RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
The five living former US presidents appeared together for the first time since 2013 to raise money for hurricane victims.
Some 465 seats are up for grabs in the lower house, which Abe dissolved last month to call a snap election amid rising approval ratings.
Ministers are also looking at schemes such as “lock-in agreements” to reduce the 250,000 sales that fall through annually.