RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Nasa has begun its countdown for a mission to discover whether life might exist on Jupiter's moon Europa.
A mosaic of American film legend Clint Eastwood made from thousands of bullet cases has been created to mark his 85th birthday tomorrow.
Former Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg is among 89 European Union politicians and other senior figures who have been banned from entering Russia.