RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Footage of a gun battle between Peruvian authorities and suspected drugs traffickers in which a plane was shot down has been released.
Orlando Bloom has visited children whose school was destroyed by shellfire during the conflict in Ukraine.
Jeremy Corbyn has launched a fresh attack on "ideological" Conservative cuts ahead of Thursday's elections.