RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
David Perry told police he had been worried about what he might do because of his high hormone levels after the break-up of a relationship.
Ed Miliband's pitch to business is based on staying in Europe - will this be enough to get their votes?
The DJ involved in a prank that led to the suicide of a nurse said that she thought her inability to have children was 'karma'.