RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Springtime scarves rather than shorts this week, as Spring bounces off for the time being
A large shipment of cocaine has been seized from a boat intercepted at sea by the Royal Navy and Coastguard.
World Superbike champion and TV presenter joined thousands of other bikers at an event to raise money for the Midlands Air Ambulance.