RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Heavy security presence as 64,000 fans gather at the Stade de France stadium for the Six Nations rugby match between France and Italy.
Today's rain will clear into the North Sea tonight, but winds will stay strong, with showers feeding in to the north and west.
Noela Rukundo was snatched off the street after her husband paid hitmen to murder her – but lived to tell the tale.