RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Heading to Wimbledon? Here's the forecast for the rest of the week.
The Scottish golf club plans to hold another vote on female membership just weeks after its members rejected the proposals.
George Osborne has said the UK economy is "prepared for the unexpected". So did he overstate his Brexit warnings?