RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
John Underhill said geological changes 55 million years ago mean the UK's geology is unsuitable for shale oil and gas production.
Argos will have to pay an additional £1.5 million to staff they underpaid, a government investigation has ruled.
The government reportedly plans to allow visa-free travel to continue after Brexit for visitors from the European Union.