RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
The Australian government said Russia's participation in the Rio 2016 Games risks damaging the reputation of the Olympic movement.
PM Malcolm Turnbull said people convicted of terrorism-related charges would be held indefinitely if they pose an ongoing threat to society.
Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz stands down after leaked emails show party actively favoured Hillary Clinton.