RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Christian bakers ruled to have discriminated against a gay man by refusing to make a pro-gay marriage cake have lost their appeal.
An eight-year-old who had his hands and legs amputated after contracting meningitis has taken up martial arts and is excelling at the sport.
Researchers found "immediate and measurable alterations in brain function" for at least 24 hours after heading a ball.