RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Cooler and fresher across the UK over the next few days.
The prime minister was shouted at as she left the scene of the tragedy in which at least 79 people died.
Father-of-six Makram Ali, 51, was already receiving medical treatment as the attack unfolded. He died from multiple injuries, police say.