The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year
More top news
Critics are ambivalent to this year's slate of winners, who were picked in part by American directors Joel and Ethan Coen.
1.5m European citizens will miss out on the chance to vote on whether Britain stays in or quits the EU.
A quiet night ahead of us weather wise, with a mostly dry day tomorrow.