The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year
More top news
Leicester City's astonishing Premier League title push looks increasingly like more than a fairytale after they saw off rivals Man City
Charity claims five have been arrested of British man's killing, and suggests there may be more to come.
Once again low pressure drives our weather today with an active weather front bringing very windy and very wet conditions.