The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year
More top news
Donald Trump has indicated he does not intend to block the release of thousands of secret files about the assassination of John F Kennedy.
Storm Brian will track off into the north sea later tonight. Blustery tomorrow.
The Evening Standard airbrushed the singer's braids from its front cover.