The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year
More top news
The mother of a 21-year-old woman who died after taking potentially toxic diet pills has warned others to avoid using the drugs.
It's a case of mistaken identity as the actress is forced to differentiate himself from an Irish activist sharing her name
Jeffrey Okafor is accused of murdering 19-year-old Carl Beatson-Asiedu outside a nightclub in south London in 2009. His trial began today.