The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year