The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year
More top news
Prince the Bull Mastiff was stolen, placed on Gumtree and sold 24 hours later.
Some motorists who found themselves in long tailbacks on the M5 vented their frustration while others found ways to occupy their time.
Piotr Malachowski sold his Rio 2016 silver medal to enable a toddler with eye cancer to travel to New York for treatment.