The coalition is planning to scrap or amend more than 3,000 regulations from the "serious to the ridiculous", including rules that impose bigger windows on new buildings to allow for a "dirt factor" instead of assuming people will clean them.
- Among the 80,000 documents of environmental guidance to be significantly cut back are:
- 286 pages of regulations on hedgerow maintenance and
- 380 pages on waste management
- Around 100 housebuilding standards will also be slimmed down to fewer than 10
- The changes will lead to savings of more than £850 million a year
More top news
French energy company gives final approval to nuclear site, in a move set to anger environmental campaigners but delight unions.
Brighter skies developing across northern Britain and Northern Ireland with some sunshine tomorrow but feeling cooler again.
iTunes customers urged to delete hoax emails that encourage people to hand over their account details.