Heston Blumenthal said he is "very sorry for the "inconvenience" caused to people whose bookings have been cancelled this week at his restaurant Dinner, following a norovirus outbreak.
The celebrity chef told The Mail on Sunday that closing the London restaurant for a week might seem "rather extreme and over cautious" after the virus affected 45 diners and workers, but said that guests and staff were his main concern.
"My goal has always been to pursue perfection in the kitchen and to amaze our guests with taste sensations beyond their imagination, rather than expose them to the risk of a really nasty couple of days of heaving," he told the newspaper.
Blumenthal said that many schools and businesses had been affected worse than the restaurant, but he had temporarily closed Dinner "to be 100 per cent sure" the virus had been contained.
More top news
Scientists are researching a blood test which can quickly detect colon, lung, breast, stomach and endometrial cancer.
Transport bosses are said to be in "active discussions" with the company to encourage it to extend its pilot scheme to the UK's capital.
Reports suggest the 67-year-old is expected to be named as one of the hosts of the new series within days.