Former Hollywood child star Shirley Temple has died at the age of 85.
Here are some interesting facts about her life.
- Born April 23, 1928, she started her career in the 1930s and was famous by the age 6.
- Her mother did her hair in pin curls for each movie. Every hairstyle had exactly 56 curls.
- At age six she became the first recipient of the juvenile Academy Award.
- She starred in 12 short films and 43 features.
- In 1936, she secured a contract paying her over $50,000 per film.
- She presented Walt Disney with his special Academy Award for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937). It was a standard-sized Oscar with seven little Oscars.
- She was supposed to play Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, but 20th Century Fox refused to lend her to MGM, so Judy Garland was cast instead.
- Actresses Shirley Jones and Shirley MacLaine were both named after her.
- Temple appears on cover of The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album.
Source: www.shirleytemple.com and IMDB.com
More top news
The Holby City star, who had been visiting Barcelona, detailed the events of the attack on Twitter as they unfolded.
Searches are continuing for victims, with around 600 people still missing and 3,000 left homeless after the disaster.
The man who drove the van that ploughed into pedestrians killing 13 people was unharmed and is still on the run, police believe.