Piers Morgan has confirmed that he was interviewed by officers investigating phone hacking in December.
Metropolitan Police said a 48-year-old journalist was "interviewed under caution", although a spokesman refused to confirm the name of the individual.
In a statement to The Guardian through a spokesperson, Mr Morgan said:
In early November I was asked to attend an interview by officers from Operation Weeting when I was next in the UK.
This was further to a full witness statement I had already freely provided. I attended that interview as requested on 6 December 2013.
Morgan, who is now a presenter on CNN, was editor of the Daily Mirror from 1995 until 2004.
More top news
The maintenance worker spent 10 days in hospital after plunging 9.5 metres from a scaffold tower at a disused station.
Workers and managers are to stage another strike on Saturday amid a long-running dispute over jobs, pensions and closures.
The unexpected call could prompt a diplomatic rift with China, which regards Taiwan as a breakaway province from its mainland.