The Government target is for 85% of patients with suspected cancer to start treatment within 62 days of being urgently referred by their GP.
Monitor's report shows:
- 18 trusts breached this target, up from 12 the previous quarter and compared with four in the same period in 2012
- 39 trusts are now in financial deficit - almost double the same period last year
- 1.6 million patients were waiting for treatment in December - 14% higher than December 2012
- 28 foundation trusts failed the four-hour A&E waiting time target from October-December 2013
- Of England's 147 NHS Foundation Trusts, 26 are currently in breach of their licence
- 8 of those trusts are in special measures