Government plans to tackle child poverty may include a £50 cut to energy bills, according to reports.
Draft measurers seen by the Observer newspaper include:
- An extension of the £135 warm home discount, which is currently available only to older people.
- Reducing water costs by introducing a cap on bills for low-income families on a water meter with three of more children.
- Wider eligibility for free school meals and free school transport.
- Building more affordable housing.
- Introducing a cap on payday lending.
More top news
The world is facing a "global health emergency", according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
A 25-year-old man has been arrested in Newport, South Wales, in connection with the Parsons Green terror attack, Scotland Yard said.
A milder night ahead with some cloud low enough to be misty in places.