Government plans to tackle child poverty may include a £50 cut to energy bills, according to reports.
Draft measurers seen by the Observer newspaper include:
- An extension of the £135 warm home discount, which is currently available only to older people.
- Reducing water costs by introducing a cap on bills for low-income families on a water meter with three of more children.
- Wider eligibility for free school meals and free school transport.
- Building more affordable housing.
- Introducing a cap on payday lending.
More top news
Rain will continue to fall in the north and west of England as the south remains largely dry for the start of the day.
Records reveal The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit might never have been written had JRR Tolkien not fallen ill with “trench fever”
Astronauts living on Nasa's Space Station no longer need to worry if they forget to pack something - they can just 3D print what they need.