Government plans to tackle child poverty may include a £50 cut to energy bills, according to reports.
Draft measurers seen by the Observer newspaper include:
- An extension of the £135 warm home discount, which is currently available only to older people.
- Reducing water costs by introducing a cap on bills for low-income families on a water meter with three of more children.
- Wider eligibility for free school meals and free school transport.
- Building more affordable housing.
- Introducing a cap on payday lending.
More top news
New Army unit which will use psychology and social media to help Britain "fight in the information age" is being set up, the MoD announced.
Police proposals suggest that all frontline police officers should have the option of arming themselves with Tasers.
Snow showers and sleet expected to affect parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland, with snow extending further south.