Former News of the World reporter Clive Goodman told the hacking trial today that some of his sources were members of the Royal Family.
Mr Goodman told the Old Bailey he had dozens of sources during his time as royal editor, only some of whom he paid.
Asked by his lawyer David Spens QC about the nature of his contacts, Goodman said: "Some worked for the Royal Family, some were friends of the Royal Family, indeed some were members of the Royal Family themselves."
The 56-year-old, of Addlestone, Surrey, who denies conspiring to commit misconduct in public office, was questioned in the witness box for a second day.
More top news
An eight-year-old girl died suddenly last week after she collapsed in the classroom, suffering from a brain aneurysm.
The 72-year-old had to be helicoptered from the mountain, when he was just a few hours from the summit on Monday.
Inspectors also found the electric meter had been bypassed to avoid paying for electricity.