- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Premier League managers have joined forces in expressing concerns that clubs could end up with empty stadia as ticket prices rise
Rolls-Royce is a company whose fortunes should interest you. So don't be sucked in by the reporting of its first dividend cut in 25 years.
New plan for buyers to be notified when dangerous goods need to be recalled after reports of hundreds of fires caused by tumble dryers.