- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
After decades of struggling negotiations both activists and delegates are hoping for some form of landmark agreement.
World Rugby chairman Bernard Lapasset led the tributes, calling Lomu 'a giant' of the game.
Jaw bone fragment studied by British scientist comes from a smaller cousin of the better known Triceratops.