- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
A new scam aimed at people who own Apple iPhones steals their account information through a text.
Tomorrow’s Congress is expected to be dominated by claims of North Korea’s nuclear prowess.
The acclaimed conductor will direct the Mariinsky Theatre's Symphony Orchestra at the UNESCO World Heritage Site.