- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Over 2,000 People's Climate March protests have taken place in 166 countries ahead of a major UN conference on climate change.
On English votes for English laws Ed Miliband is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
School fees, pricey private medical care and the fear of interest rate rises mean even those on £200,000 are feeling the pinch.