- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Professor Alexander Haddow's papers on Zika virus have been rediscovered in the University of Glasgow's archive, after nearly 40 years.
England and Wales fans will face a 24-hour alcohol ban in the centre of Lens when their teams play each other on June 16.
Cloud and rain set to spread westwards tomorrow bringing a colder feel.