- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Police appeal for information after father and two young children go missing from Kent home.
A father has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of intentionally leaving his toddler son to die in a hot car.
Theresa May has refused to rule out paying money to the EU after we leave, so that UK firms can still trade with the single market.