- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
The expansion of the London airport will impact the whole UK, with more domestic routes, while impacting air fares and house prices.
A campaign to remove the term 'Essex Girl' from the dictionary due to its sexist and derogatory connotations is gaining traction.
A victim of sexual abuse by a paedophile imam has criticised police after her attacker fled the country during the middle of his trial.