- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Police are investigating the death of a teenager who died shortly after an amateur boxing match held last night.
Labour leader says the UK "should not be afraid of debt or borrowing" as he urges the government to "stop dithering" and start investing.
A fundraising page for a Westminster terror attack victim has been taken over by JustGiving amid fears it was set up by a fraudster.