- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Travel industry chiefs have called for universal safety standards to be introduced across Europe, to help prevent future tragedies.
The tragic deaths of two children on a Thomas Cook Corfu holiday in 2006 could lead to a crisis of confidence for the travel industry.
Sunny spells for tomorrow, although the further we go into the weekend then we will see outbreaks of rain moving south eastwards