- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
This year's Pride in London event will include a minute's silence to commemorate the victims of the Orlando shooting.
An urgent appeal has been made to help trace the mother of a five-year-old girl who was found alone at a bus stop in Brighton on Friday.
Weight of people trying to sign caused government petition to website to crash as Europhiles try to force a rerun of the EU vote.