- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Temperatures will remain low for most of the country as Britain battles against wintry showers, snow and gales this afternoon.
A giant panda has been caught in camera breaking iron bars and moving into the other cell to have a taste of milk in the next cell.
City traders are paying up to £200 to cure their hangovers with a vitamin drip, according to a doctor from Surrey.