- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
A British soldier has become an overnight multimillionaire after scooping more than £13.2 million on a 25p stake.
Several people are thought to have been killed in a fire at a traveller's site in the Republic of Ireland.
More than 90% of hospices in England have been rated 'good' or 'outstanding' in a wave of new inspections.