- One of Russia's most-wanted terrorists, head of the Caucasus Emirate militant group and nicknamed 'Russia's Bin Laden'.
- Recently reported to have urged militants to attack the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- The US State Department offered a bounty of $5m for information leading to his capture.
- claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Russia, including the 2010 Moscow Metro bombings and the Domodedovo airport bombing in 2011.
- Chechnya's pro-Russian president, Ramzan Kadyrov, claimed Umarov had been killed in January.
More top news
Heavy rain and wind for Scotland and northern parts this weekend with an amber weather warning issued and travel disruption expected.
Heavy rain continues to affect Western Scotland and Northern Ireland
A surgeon linked to two deaths and a series of botched surgeries is to return to work despite an ongoing investigation, ITV News understands