Private James' parents, backed by Human Rights campaign group Liberty, called for a fresh inquest into her death, lodging an application with the Attorney General for consent to apply to the High Court for one.
Today a spokesman for Dominic Grieve said he had granted his consent.
The spokesman said:
The application was made to the Attorney General on the basis that the original inquest made insufficient enquiry into the circumstances of her death and because new evidence is now available that was not put before the inquest in December 1995.
The Attorney General granted his consent because he concluded that it was in the interests of justice for the application for a new inquest to go forward and to be heard by the High Court.
More top news
Voting that had been expected on Thursday will now be held Friday instead.
Police were called in amid fears the man may have been poisioned.
Williams is charged with first-degree murder without premeditation, a probation violation and for not having a valid driver’s licence.