The Government has said zero-hours contracts will not be banned despite admitting that "there has been evidence of abuse".
"While for many people they offer a welcome flexibility, for others it is clear that there has been evidence of abuse around this type of employment, which can offer limited employment rights and job security", a Business Department spokesman said.
He added that the Government was still analysing the results of a consultation following research carried out last year into the key concerns and would publish a response in due course.
Labour leader Ed MIliband is set to promise new rights for workers to stop the "worst abuses" of zero-hours contracts later today.
More top news
With heavy rain continuing across much of western Scotland the Met Office has issued an "amber" warning from 6pm today until 6am on Sunday.
As Liberia celebrates its 'last Ebola patient' Sierra Leone sees its hopes of being free of the disease dashed.