The Taliban often falsely claimed responsibility for the deaths of Nato forces, Foreign Secretary William Hague has said, following the deaths of five British soldiers in southern Afghanistan. Mr Hague told Sky News' Murnaghan programme:
This appears to have been a tragic accident, although it is still being investigated. It is a reminder of the work that our troops still do in Afghanistan.
Of course at the end of this year we will come to an end of the combat role, or having our troops there in any significant numbers. But the work that they do is still dangerous, it is still very valuable in Afghanistan.
More top news
Officials say wanted Moroccan man Younes Abouyaaquoub was the driver of the van which ploughed into pedestrians in Barcelona last week.
Big Ben will fall silent on Monday for renovations following a backlash from MPs over the proposed four-year timetable for the work.
Rain will push into the northwest, turning heavy and persistent in places