- Rent controls first introduced by the 1915 Increase of Rent and Mortgage Interest (War Restrictions) Act
- Between the 1945 and 1991 the private rented sector declined to 7 per cent of the market
- 1988 Housing Act deregulated rents on new lettings
- By 2013 the private rented sector made up 16.5 per cent of all 3.8 million households in England.
- More than 1 in 7 renters who used a letting agency paid £500 or more in fees
- More than 9 million people rent from a private landlord in England
- Proportion of households living in private rented sector has risen by 80 per cent since 2000
(Figures provided by Shelter and the House of Commons library)
More top news
Among those murdered was Keith Palmer, an unarmed constable who "did his job and never wanted any fuss."
Top temperature 14 Celsius (57 F).
The Prime Minister will say Moscow's brazen flouting of international law represents a threat to the basis of democracy across Europe.