The Skull Cracker has been arrested in East London along with a 53 year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
But Michael Wheatley has a long history of crime, as this timeline reveals:
- 1980s - Michael Wheatley is jailed for a post office raid, goes on the run to commit nine armed robberies and is jailed in 1989 for 16 years.
- 1992 - Wheatley is released to visit optician, goes on the run and commits eight raids.
- 1993 - Jailed for seven years, on top of the 20 he's already serving.
- 2001 - Wheatley is released on parole from his cumulative 27 year sentence. Within weeks he commits the first of 13 bank raids over 10 months.
- 2002 - Wheatley handed 13 life sentences of which he must serve at least eight years.
- May 3, 2014 - Released on temporary licence from Standford Hill open prison in Kent, fails to return and the alarm is raised.
- May 5 - Sighting in Twickenham, but he is not found.
- May 7 - A Chelsea Building Society in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, is robbed. Wheatley is arrested later in East London.
More top news
Prime Minister plans a whistle-stop charm offensive with EU leaders this week.
Thriller writer Anthony Horowitz is at the helm of the latest Bond book, which is based on an unfilmed Ian Fleming TV script.
Actress who plays iconic Daenerys Targaryen admitted she didn't want to become typecast for nudity.