The Skull Cracker has been arrested in East London along with a 53 year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
But Michael Wheatley has a long history of crime, as this timeline reveals:
- 1980s - Michael Wheatley is jailed for a post office raid, goes on the run to commit nine armed robberies and is jailed in 1989 for 16 years.
- 1992 - Wheatley is released to visit optician, goes on the run and commits eight raids.
- 1993 - Jailed for seven years, on top of the 20 he's already serving.
- 2001 - Wheatley is released on parole from his cumulative 27 year sentence. Within weeks he commits the first of 13 bank raids over 10 months.
- 2002 - Wheatley handed 13 life sentences of which he must serve at least eight years.
- May 3, 2014 - Released on temporary licence from Standford Hill open prison in Kent, fails to return and the alarm is raised.
- May 5 - Sighting in Twickenham, but he is not found.
- May 7 - A Chelsea Building Society in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, is robbed. Wheatley is arrested later in East London.
More top news
Milder Atlantic air into the north with colder, Continental air into the south.
A report produced for the British government criticised the security at the Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel where 38 people were killed in 2015.
A second Scottish independence referendum is "even more likely" after Theresa May's Brexit speech, Nicola Sturgeon has said.