Almost 500 suspended sentences were given to sex offenders in 2012/13, a series of Freedom of Information requests has found.
In a wide-ranging investigation into the number of suspended sentences handed down to convicted criminals, the CCP found:
- Some 7288 suspended prison sentences were handed to offenders with convictions for violent behaviour.
- There were 110,745 cases of criminals sentenced last year despite one or more previous suspended sentences.
- Another 215 criminals were found guilty despite already having 10 or more suspended sentences.
- A regional sample shows Hertfordshire recorded the greatest increase in the number of criminals whose prison sentences were suspended, from 10 in 2002 to 821 in 2012.
- Bedfordshire was second to Hertfordshire with 10 suspended sentences in 2002, rising to 346 in 2012, while Cambridgeshire was third with 20, increasing to 678.
More top news
The showers will be frequent, heavy and blustery with a mixture of rain and hail.